[Vacancy] Global is looking for a Broadcast Journalist
Global is directly looking for a:
Broadcast Journalist - Milton Keynes
We are Global. We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to Regional News Editor
Overview of job
Global’s Newsroom in the east needs a journalist with a fantastic broadcast voice and great writing skills! You will be part of the team in Milton Keynes that produces bulletins for local Smooth and Heart brands, as well as content for our rolling news station LBC News.
The successful candidate should have broadcast journalism experience in a radio newsroom. You'll have a great passion for news, and you will be aware that it happens 24/7, so an understanding this isn’t a ‘normal’ office job is crucial!
You should be willing to take ownership for being across the news agenda, and able to demonstrate a proven track record in responding to breaking news stories. Flexibility and versatility in the role is vital.
*Please note that applications without a demo will not be considered*
3 best things about the job
- Working on some of the UK’s biggest and most exciting radio stations with a team of dedicated journalists.
- No two days are the same; you’ll be working on a variety of local and national stories & have the opportunity to build story telling techniques.
- Opportunity to take ownership of the East of England news patches.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have:
- Grasped the news agenda and produced stand-out content for local & national services
- Established yourself as a trusted voice to our audiences & understand the key TSA requirements & demographics
- Set the standard in the quality of output across our newsroom.
Responsibilities of the role
- The person in this position will have a relevant journalism qualification including a legal understanding - and experience in a radio newsroom working on a bulletin or production desk.
- You’ll have a fantastic voice, write creatively and be able to deliver high quality, relevant, timely and accurate news and current affairs content.
- You’ll help set the on-air and digital agenda daily.
- You’ll have sound legal judgement and be proficient in Ofcom’s broadcast regulations and guidelines.
- Produce outstanding bulletins for local Smooth and Heart services which are creatively written, delivered and are Ofcom compliant
- Seek, set up and interview audio and video for local and national services
- Provide live and pre-recorded content for our national news brands LBC & LBC News
- Be available to help out with breaking news outside specified work hours, on occasion
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- Delivering standout, OFCOM-compliant bulletins which routinely meet and exceed Global standards.
- Pitching and delivering exclusive, original content, either on your own or in collaboration with other team members.
- Understanding the importance of tailored content across our brand portfolio and be capable of taking ownership for all editorial decisions with those diverse audiences in mind.
- Responding to changing situations and problem-solving under pressure, to ensure our output is always of the highest standard in all circumstances.
- News happens 24/7 - this isn’t a ‘normal’ office job and flexibility is key.
- Please note that applications without a demo will not be considered.
- A clean full UK driving licence.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you. Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.